Friday, October 12, 2012

Goodbye Evil Carpet Stain!

Now you see it...

Now you don't!

Ever since we moved in 4 months ago, there has been a nasty carpet stain in the entrance to the guest/craft room. I have fought that stain and fought that stain and it just would not come up.

Enter Pinterest.

I know. You guys are tired of all of my Pinteresting, yes?

But, yaaaaaaaa'lllllll, seriously, Pinterest is fantastic! You should follow me! Click here!

Anywho.

Where was I?

Oh, yes. Evil carpet stain.

I have been looking for a carpet cleaner that would actually work and I kept seeing a homemade recipe that called for hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dish detergent.

I have been reading the comments and I can't find a single negative comment on any of the many articles/blog posts I have read about this stuff.

And they weren't kidding. This solution took the stain right up! It took a little bit of muscle and a lot of patience, but I prevailed. So there, evil carpet stain!

Magic Stain Remover

1 part Dawn dish detergent
2 parts hydrogen peroxide

I also added a little bit of baking soda per several comments.

I poured all of this in a clean spray bottle and really saturated the carpet. I then took a small scrub brush and scrubbed it a bit to really get it in the carpet. I left it to soak for about 10 minutes. I then laid a towel over the spot and stepped on it until the fluid came up. It will leave the carpet soapy feeling. Per several other comments I read, I then saturated the carpet with a half water/half vinegar solution (which I had on hand because I clean just about everything with it). I put a clean towel over the spot and stepped on it until the liquid was soaked up. I did that about 3 times. I then rubbed the spot with the towel until the rest of the soapy feeling was gone.

Also used for:

clothing - if you have a high efficiency washer, make sure you rinse all the Dawn out!
furniture stain remover
grout cleaner
car upholstery cleaner

So other ugly carpet stains that have slyly come up since we moved in, be ready to accept defeat! Yeah, I'm talking to you, too, strawberry slush stain in my car!

3 comments:

April said...

I will have to try that. When we bought our house there were several bad stains in the hallway carpet and I've tried lots of things but they just seem to keep coming back. Ugh! If we ever move again we are ripping up carpets.

Chelley N said...

I'm glad you're trying all this stuff first! I like having solutions that I know are going to work!!!

Unknown said...

And that’s what you call magic! But I think your carpet-cleaning success comes from your researching prowess. Doing some research and using your stored nuggets of knowledge can definitely help you deal with your home-cleaning problems. :-)
[Pete Henderson]