Friday, March 29, 2013

DIY Chalkboard Tutorial

I know, I know. I already did a tutorial this week.

But, ya'll, I loved this project so much and it is so easy peasy that I couldn't resist posting it!

I admit that I didn't jump on the chalkboard bandwagon until recently. I kind of hate chalk. The way it feels. The way you can make that awful screeching sound on chalkboards. Ugh. I have nightmares about that.

Anywho, I finally decided to get in on this trend and I am so glad I did! I decided I wanted a small chalkboard in my kitchen for bible verses and notes.

On Monday, I went to my local craft store and found a frame. I have been eyeing this style of frame for a while and this seemed like the perfect project for it! I decided on antique white, but you can also buy this particular frame in red, black and teal. I love the teal, but my kitchen is green. No clashing allowed in this house!


Then I picked up some chalkboard spray paint. I chose Krylon because Krylon and I love each other and I've never been disappointed in the results.


You will also need 220 grit sand paper.

Take the glass out of the frame and set the frame aside. Then the first thing that has to be done is sanding down the glass. The great thing about chalkboard paint is that you can use it on virtually any non-porous surface so you don't have to purchase anything else to go in the frame. Sand down the glass until it is "frosted" looking. That's the only way I know how to describe how it looks.

After shaking the spray paint for the recommended 2 minutes (yes, I actually count to make sure), spray the first coat of paint. I made the mistake of doing this outside on a tarp in the back yard. Oklahoma is known for its wind so this was not a good idea. I ended up having to sand the paint down because the wind blew grass and other flotsam on to it. I moved into the garage after that. After sanding down the first coat, I sprayed it twice more. The paint can said to only do 2 coats, but I wanted to make sure I got good coverage after the first coat disaster.

Let the paint dry and put it back in to the frame.


After letting it dry for a complete 24 hours, break out the chalk!


I need to work on my chalk art...just another thing for me to start pinning!

3 comments:

April said...

Love this and didn't know they sold those frames now in the craft stoes. I may just have to copy this!

Cheryl said...

I love this! I'm going to make one for my office at church!

Ashley said...

Love this - and love a reason for a hobby lobby visit!