Wednesday, July 15, 2009

This post has been revised. I don't believe that women who go through premature menopause should not have the chance to have a child.

And yet another situation giving fertility treatments a bad name...

News

This is one of those things about fertility treatments that I have to disagree with. I know that women make their own decisions about when to have children, but there is selfishness in these decisions sometimes. This woman took into account that her mother lived to 101 years old, but what about the rest of her relatives? And maybe she did take that into account, but I still believe that it was selfish of her to get pregnant at 66. I agree with Pacey in the article...that God gave us menopause to tell us when to stop having children (in a normal situation where the woman doesn't go through premature menopause). I'm sorry that her children have to suffer and lose their only parent (unless they know who donated the sperm for the IVF) so that she could fulfill a dream. And I hate that her excuse for for waiting that long was because circumstances put her between a rock and a hard place. Well, Boo Hoo is what I say to that. Russ and I pursued fertility treatments and had our baby when, financially, it is not the best time to have a baby, but we also understood that if we didn't do it now, we may not have the chance because I am not so selfish as to think that I'm going to live to be 101 just because my mother did!

Be kind if you comment, please.

4 comments:

Hollie said...

I completely agree with you. It's so hard to say what should and shouldn't be allowed with fertility treatments. Maybe if the dr would have checked her id, he would have known her age. I read that she said she was 55.

M said...

I do think that it was a selfish move on the woman's part but I don't know how something like this could be avoided or solved. At what age should women be denied tx? A woman can die at any age so it's hard to say. I don't quite agree with your menopause idea seeing as there are women who go through premature menopause in their 20's and 30's who I think deserve the chance to have children.

Lisa said...

M, I agree about the premature menopause thing. I wasn't meaning that women who go through menopause at 25 shouldn't be able to have children. I'll revise the post.

Miss Tori said...

It's unfortunate that she died so early after her children were born. I'm sure it was very unexpected (meaning that she didn't know about what caused her death when she was going through treatment). But, she fulfilled her dream and I'm sure died happy.

I can't necessarily disagree with you, but I am loath to start drawing lines, because if I feel like I can draw a line, then someone else might draw a line even closer, and someone else even closer, until fertility treatments are so restricted that they are just not feasible any longer.