Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Recipe Box: Hawaiian Chicken

Russ and I were wanting some Hawaiian Chicken this week so I put it on the menu for Tuesday. Usually we just marinate the chicken in pineapple juice and teryaki sauce, but I was wanting something that Russ wouldn't have to grill. I found a recipe that you bake online and decided to try it. It was delicious and is now in the recipe book for later use. I did make way too much sauce, but I cut the recipe down a little and added another piece of chicken so it won't be swimming in it! Also, I used fresh pineapple and since I don't have a pineapple corer, I didn't have the nice rings to put directly on the chicken. I may have to go get a corer. We love fresh pineapple!
Pineapple Chicken

Ingredients:

4 boneless chicken breasts
Flour to coat chicken
Oil
1 20 oz. can sliced pineapple, reserving juice

Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 chicken bouillon cubes
Orange juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat chicken with flour. Pour oil into a skillet and brown chicken. Place chicken in a shallow, oven-safe dish.

Drain pineapple, pouring syrup into a 2 cup measuring cup. Add orange juice to make 1 1/2 cups liquid. Reserve juice for sauce.

In a medium saucepan, combine the 1 1/2 cups juice, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened and clear. Pour over chicken. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes.

Uncover and place pineapple slices over chicken and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

I served mine with a fruit salad. I kept adding more fruits to it so it got to be enormous! I had to share with our neighbors so it wouldn't go bad! If you make fruit salad, one trick I've learned is to put lemon juice in it so your apples and bananas don't brown. In this picture, the salad had been made for about an hour and the apples and bananas still look great!
I admit that this is a very sweet recipe. I couldn't eat it every day or I'd go into sugar shock. I don't know what cutting the sugar down would do to it so I probably won't be trying that.
If you try this, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

1 comment:

Paige said...

Thanks for stopping by my Blog... I may be having some yummy Hawaiian Chicken tonight!