Friday, April 15, 2011

Show Us Your Life Friday!

I'm linking up again with Kelly's Korner (second week in a row!) for Show Us Your Life! Today's topic is books! And you know how much I love books!

I have talked before about the Top 100 List I have been working on for almost a year now. I am currently reading "The History of Tom Jones: A Foundling" by Henry Fielding. This is a picture of Henry Fielding that is in the front of my book.
I checked this one out from the library because I couldn't find a free copy for my Kindle. Oh how I love my Kindle! I did go ahead and download all the free books from the list that I could so they are ready for my enjoyment at any time. So far, I have read 18 books from the list. They are:

Don Quixote by Miquel de Cervantes
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
Emma by Jane Austen
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
My Antonia by Willa Cather
A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

I also have The Grapes of Wrath checked out from the library for when I finish Tom Jones. I am trying to not read any other novels right now, but I am very interested in Water for Elephants and a few other books I have heard about lately. We will see if they are still on my list when I finish the 100!

This year I have been reading 3 books at any given time. I try to read 1 novel, 1 religious book and the Bible during each month. I am behind on my novels as I've only finished 2 so far this year. I am very happy to say that I've been a true daily Bible reader for several weeks now. I am always striving to be a daily Bible reader, but I will forget some days and have to play catch up throughout the year. For the past several weeks I have remembered every single day!
It helps that my Bible is so cute! Today I read 1 Corinthians 13 which is also commonly referred to as the Great Love Chapter. I love it and it was the perfect start to my day!

I am also still working on Conviction by Brad Harrub. I am really enjoying this book and I am learning a lot! Even though I have heard a lot of what he says, it is reinforcing everything!
This is my April religious book so I have to finish it before May. The author is going to be speaking at a Gospel Meeting in Columbia in June and I am hoping to go! I bought 3 books from the lectureship we attended last week (has it only been since last week!?!?) and will be reading those over the next few months.

And there you have it folks.

5 comments:

Claire said...

Aren't Kindles amazing?

Cxx

Let'sMakeADifference said...

Found your blog through Kellyskorner! Am now following! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I need to get a Kindle....Love your list...great blog...

Erin Branscom said...

love my kindle, so amazing what technology has done! :) Your little girl is so cute! :)

Erin

www.healthybranscoms.com

Anonymous said...

The Top 100 list is cool. I've looked through one before but have always been afraid of some of the books on the list. I'm afraid I might fall asleep before I get through the first chapter! Haha! Anyway, I do want to read a lot more of the classics.

I read one fiction and one religious book at the same time, too! Right now, it's Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis and Rainbow Valley. I'm loving Mere Christianity.

I don't read my Bible daily...:(