Sunday, February 26, 2012

Diaper Cake Tutorial

I didn't take a bunch of pictures when I was making the diaper cake because I had never made one before so I wasn't planning to do a tutorial for it. I don't think it will take away from the instructions to not have pictures, though.

Supplies you will need:

Diapers (the number of diapers will depend on how big you want your cake to be. I used 2 50 count packages. Also, it would be better for the diapers to be plain white, but I bought the Wal-Mart brand (which used to be plain) and they weren't.)
Ribbon (I used a thick ribbon so it would cover all the strings and rubberbands)
Rubber bands
Some type of string or extra large rubber bands (I used crochet thread because it is what I had on hand)
Cardboard cake round (I buy these at Hobby Lobby in the cake decorating section.)
Silk flowers
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
3 sizes of round cake pans (this is optional, but it really helped me)

I started with the bottom tier of the cake and used my biggest cake pan for this. I rolled up each diaper and put a rubber band around the middle of it. I then just put the rolled up diapers upright in the cake pan until it was full. While the diapers were still in the cake pan, I wound my crochet thread around the center of the outside diapers and tied it. I tied it tight enough so that I could move the tier without all the diapers in the middle falling out. Do the next two tiers the same way with the cake pans.
After securing all the diapers and tying them together, take your ribbon and wrap it around the tiers, covering the thread and rubber bands. I just folded over the end of the ribbon a little and hot glued it to the other ribbon end. Make sure you don't get any glue on the diapers. They won't be usable if you do.

I covered the cardboard cake round in fabric at this point. I just hot glued the fabric on the bottom of the cardboard.

Set the cake tiers on the cardboard cake round.

Embellish with the silk flowers.
This process was so simple. The rolling of the diapers did take a while, but I just watched some TV while I did it. I, personally, like more simple designs, but you can embellish with all kinds of things like pacifiers, bottles, socks, shoes, travel sized baby lotions and shampoos, etc. if you wanted to. Just play with it until it is what you want!

2 comments:

leslie said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post how to do the diaper cake! I am going to "attempt" to make one like yours...hopefully sucessfully...ha!

Leslie

Lauren said...

Yay I love making diaper cakes so fun :-)