Monday, February 22, 2010

First Try

I have a vision of how I want to make Chloe Jo's first birthday cake. I am seeing three teirs covered with white fondant and different colored hearts. The only problem with this vision is that I've never used fondant on my cakes before...until tonight. I decided last week that I would do a trial run with it to see how hard it is and if I could make it halfway decent. This is the finished product:

The first thing I did was make homemade pound cake. Buddy from Cake Boss likes to use pound cake because it is easier to handle. I usually buy a box cake, but I really enjoyed making the cake myself and it turned out really yummy. I made two 8 inch rounds and filled between the two with regular icing and dirty iced the rest of it. I then rolled out my fondant and laid that over the dirty icing and smoothed it out as best I could. To give it a little decoration I rolled fondant balls and scored the top and sides. I'm very happy with my first try and I'm excited to make Chloe Jo's birthday cake now!

You know no post is complete without pictures of the cutie pie! I found these two headbands in the dollar aisle at a store tonight. Ha!



6 comments:

The Dorns said...

Wow that looks FANTASIC!!! Great job. Im getting nervous for the 1st birthday I have no clue what to do yet.

Misty Dawn said...

glad the cake came out good, it looks yummy! love the headbands, I don't think anything looks bad on Chloe Jo. :)

Janet said...

I love the cake boss! I'm so not as talented as you. I'm in the process of looking online for cakes for our girls first birthday. Doesn't it seem surreal to you that our munchkins are almost one already? Love the headbands!! Chloe Jo always looks so happy!

elephantscanremember said...

Terrific job! She is a cutie!!!!!

Christina said...

The cake looks great! I love watching Cake Boss but I think if I try to make a cake like that I'd end up with a huge mess.

Kriss said...

Great job Lisa!!!!