Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New Complications

First, if you are a guy and I haven't scared you away yet with my candidness or if you are a girl that gets a queasy stomach, you may want to skip this post.

I woke up yesterday to some spotting. It was accompanied by sharp pains in the right side of my abdomen. They weren't continuous, but they were still sharp pains. I called the nurse and my doctor wanted me to come in and get checked out. My appointment was at 2:15 p.m. and over the course of the day, the spotting got worse and I started passing small clots. I wasn't real worried until that started happening. I went in and WandBoy wasn't as upbeat as he normally is so I knew that what was to come might not be good. So the wand went in and up pops the most beautiful little heart beat I've ever seen. The baby seemed to be fine. It was measuring 8 weeks which is a little less than what it is supposed to be, but that's fine. The heart rate was 162 bpm. Everything looked good. So WandBoy starts looking around trying to find the source of my bleeding. Finally, he said that it looks like I have a placenta previa. In normal pregnancies, the placenta grows on the back side of the uterus away from the birth canal and cervix as shown in this diagram.

WandBoy and the NP believe my placenta is covering the birth canal and cervix as shown in this diagram.

As the baby grows, the placenta is pulling away from the birth canal most likely being the source of the bleeding. Hopefully, this will resolve itself as time goes on. If not, I may be looking at bed rest and/or a Cesarean section delivery. WandBoy said that they really can't be sure because this isn't usually diagnosed until 12 weeks, but they are fairly sure. That's it for now. I'll post the ultrasound pictures when I get them scanned. The baby looks like a little teddy bear now! WandBoy did jokingly accuse me of making up stuff so I could get more ultrasounds. Unfortunately, I think my insurance only covers two ultrasounds per pregnancy so I'm paying for this one out of pocket. Oh well, it's worth it!

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Spotting can be scary! I'm glad all is well. You take care of yourself!

Miss Tori said...

Lisa, I'm glad they are able to identify the cause of the spotting. I'm praying that everything corrects itself and you have a H&H and uneventful 7 more months.

Regarding your insurance, insurance often only covers two ultrasounds as part of a normal uncomplicated pregnancy. If there are complications which require additional ultrasounds, these are normally covered. They will be subject to your diagnostic x-ray charges, so if that's deductible and coinsurance, then that's how they would be processed.

Anonymous said...

phew, you scared me. I think you should be on bed rest anyways. Audra's orders. Now take two cookies and call me in the morning.

I Believe in Miracles said...

This sounds super scary. I'd agree with the bed rest & taking it easy!!! Be praying for you.

Nichole said...

My stomach dropped when I saw "spotting" in your post. I am so glad that your baby is healthy and I will be praying that your placenta previa fixes itself!

Unknown said...

The way you started the post made me really scared so I can't imanage how you felt. I am glad that they think the know what it is and hopefully it will get better. I will keep you in my prayers.

The Vincents said...

Phew! I am glad that you two are a-okay!