Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Day in History

I thought it only fitting to blog about 9/11 today. 7 years ago the world trade centers fell after two airplanes slammed into them. The Pentagon also was hit by an airplane and another plane went down in a field in Pennsylvania. I remember the day as clearly as if it was yesterday. I was driving to a child care job that I had during college. Every radio station was covering the tragedy and I didn't know if it was real or not. When I got finished watching the children an hour later, I drove to a student center that I liked hanging out at. I worked there during my college years, also. There were about 10 other students there. We all skipped class to watch the coverage. The whole house was dead silent. I remember going to class and running errands the next day and you could just tell there was something wrong with the town. Everything was melancholy. I assume this is how it was accross the whole United States. Eventually things went back to normal, but with more flags waving and more patriotism in general. The next March, a group of students went to New York on a mission trip for Spring Break. We visited Ground Zero and the same sense of melancholy that was in my college town was still there at Ground Zero. Even though New York is usually a busy, insane place, Ground Zero wasn't. It was quiet. There were rows of banners proclaiming love to the lost ones hung up on fences. There was a pile of ash with a shovel from the wreckage of the two buildings. The globe from the top of one of the Trade Centers was erected in memory of those who were lost. It was a tragic site. I don't know that I'll ever forget the feelings I had on that day or during the two trips I made to New York in the following years. It'll be like my parents and the JFK assasination. We'll remember this forever. Gone but not forgotten.

No comments: