Monday, November 5, 2012

Chores

Chloe Jo is getting to the age where she loves to help...but only when she wants to. In light of this, I have been trying to find ways to help her want to help all of the time.

I had pinned several things on Pinterest about chores. There were a few pins about how to reward children who do their chores and a few about how to help them do them when they don't want to.

I eventually chose to make a chore chart. I felt that this way would yield the most benefit for Chloe Jo at the stage she is in now.

Chloe Jo's favorite color is pink so I knew I wanted to do the chart out of pink paper. I had some of the strawberry paper I used for her birthday party decorations left over so I decided to use that. I wanted her name and the words to pop so I chose a contrasting green paper for those. I got out my Cricut to cut the letters and I put the chart together.
 I ended up making it 12x24 after quickly realizing all the chores I had for her wouldn't fit on the 12x12 paper.

I had bought some magnetic strips to cut up to put on the front for the chores to stick to. Again, I quickly realized that wasn't going to work because the pieces had to be put together just right for them to stay. The chores kept falling off. I am now in the process of changing the magnets to velcro instead which is working much better so far. I did put strips of magnets on the back of the chore chart so it can hang on the refrigerator.

I took the chart and the chores to Office Depot and had everything laminated so it would last.

Even though I had troubleshooting problems, the chart turned out great and Chloe Jo loves moving the chores to the "done" side.

Here is a close-up of the chores I chose to put on the chart.

I, personally, am a believer in teaching responsibility to children when they are young. Productive children turn into productive adults and that is one of our goals as parents.

3 comments:

April said...

This is so awesome!

Janet said...

We have a similar chore chart at our house. Although, I'm not nearly as creative as you and mine is not as pretty! :-)

Allison said...

Love it!! And I agree with your philosophy.