Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cranky Chloe Jo

We believe Chloe Jo has colic. Yesterday and Monday she cried for hours. The only time she wasn't crying was when she was eating or sleeping. This makes for one frazzled Momma. I just felt so bad that nothing I was doing would satisfy her. Then to make matters worse (or better depending on how you look at it) my Mom came over on Monday and got her quieted down within five minutes. She is a pro and I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. When she is with me she wants to nurse. This would be fine if she was actually hungry, but I'm not a pacifier and when she had just eaten a few minutes before I know that is not the problem. I make her eat a full meal (usually 30 minutes is the norm for her). I refuse to be a pacifier so that just leaves me one other option most of the time: listen to her cry. And I hate it. I hate that she needs to nurse to be comforted. I hate that she doesn't seem happy most of the time. I hate that she gets tummy aches after each feeding. Then this morning Russ said that he doesn't think she is getting enough when she nurses because she is always cranky afterwards but when we give her a bottle (I pump every day) she seems satisfied. I don't personally think that is it. I think she doesn't swallow as much air when we give her a bottle so she doesn't have a tummy ache afterwards. I feel like I'm producing enough milk. Though, I have been stressed lately so I don't know for sure. I can hear her swallowing and she always takes herself off when she is finished. I don't know what the deal is.
My sweet girl did decide to take a nap this morning so that has been nice. I've been able to do laundry and tidy up a bit. I am also in the process of making a card. I put her in the swing before she got too fussy and she has been napping in it. Even with all of the colic and crying, she is the sweetest thing ever and when she does find it necessary to give me one of her gummy grins, my heart explodes with love. And the colic will pass....hopefully soon.
Here are some pictures from last week.
I love this picture. It is so full of personality and she is so happy.
This picture cracks me up. I have it set as the wallpaper on my computer. Everytime I open my computer I just have to laugh!
Daddy and Chloe Jo
Granny Tiger and Chloe Jo. They are having themselves a wonderful conversation.

Grand Pappy, G-Jo, Momma, Chloe Jo and Granny Tiger. Grand Pappy and Granny Tiger are my Mom's parents. Grand Pappy suffers with alzheimers and didn't know me a few times last week. It is heart wrenching to see and experience the effects of this horrible disease.
One family. Four generations.
Create doll makers and dress up dolls with dollmakerscript.com

6 comments:

Chelley N said...

Cute pics! Maybe you should talk to her dr. and see if there is something they recommend to ease her tummy. It may be a simple fix, or you may just have to wait it out. At least she's cute when she cries :-)

Ashley said...

Hey there - crying babies are no fun. Have you tried gas drops (Mylicon) or a pacifier? Those seem to do the trick in our household! Good luck!

Hollie said...

I was exactly where you are when Chesley was one month old. You are not doing anything wrong. I'm sure Chloe is getting plenty to eat. They must go through something at that age. Chesley just had a few hours where he was very fussy and he didn't sleep much at night. It's so hard. But of course you love her and this will pass. We tried the bottle thing. Sometimes he did seem happier, but sometimes it didn't matter. Vibrating bouncy chair helped.

Ang said...

Hey not sure this post went thur, my interent went down. I was just saying it's hard taking everybody's advice, from doctors, nurses, friends that mean well, family and then somebody like me that you don't know..ha but I was like Ashley up there about the Mylicon drops..Had never heard of them and they were God sent..ha Dont' give up on the first couple of doses..give it a chance to work and most of all everybody was peaceful again and sleeping:) ((hugs)) you are doing a great job. I COULD get my feelings hurt that you have never posted on my blog before 'IF" I was that kind of person considering I have followed you your whole pregnancy when I found out you were havin a "Chloe'..ha but I am not that kind of person..:)

JP said...

Never posted before, but been reading for a while...hang in there!! My daughter is now 11 weeks old, and had colic fits from weeks 3 to 8. They were unbearable, and I so feel your pain. Here's what helped us get through them: Lots of rocking/bouncing, walks in the bjorn, dancing and singing, WHITE NOISE (I vacuumed in the middle of the night...also hair dryer beside her ear...crazy, but it worked to stop her from screaming!). Also, I tossed out all the "rules" about where she was "supposed" to sleep...if she fell asleep, she stayed where she was - swing, car seat, it didn't matter, as long as she would sleep (pediatrican agreed). Most importantly, my pediatrian "ordered" that I get 30 minutes OUT OF THE HOUSE a day. My husband was so supportive, and held out his arms as soon as he walked in the door from work so I could get outside, run an errand - anything to escape the screaming for a bit. You have to take care of you...and if you do get upset with her at some point, know that is normal too. Hang in there!! It will end. Everyone told us that, and it seemed like it lasted forever...but the last spell happened at 7 weeks, 6 days...and now we've been 3 weeks without one.

The Vincents said...

Hang in there!!!