Sunday, July 13, 2008

Un-Medicated Me

Except for ovulation induction, I don't take meds for anything. This hasn't always been the case. I used to pop three ibuprofen tablets for a headache and never thought anything of it. But, I'm realizing more and more that I want to be pregnant, not toxic. I believe in letting your immune system do its job and, unless absolutely necessary, letting your body fight infections by itself. Now, as a disclaimer, I don't think it's wrong to take medicine for headaches and colds. It is my personal choice not to take them. Anyway, I see so many people at work that get a little sniffle and go running to the doctor to get antibiotics and it irritates me. Pumping your bodies full of antibiotics and over-the-counter drugs isn't going to help you in the long run. Our poor children get sick and what do parents do? Immediately take them to the doctor. Their immune systems never build to where they can fight off anything by themselves. They are going to be reliant on these meds for the rest of their lives and parents are doing that to them! I worked in daycare for two years and I've seen what this does to children. The ones that went to the doctor all the time could never fight off colds like the ones who weren't drugged up 24/7. When we were little, my parents didn't take us to the doctor very often at all. The only time I know of that I went to the doctor was when I had chipmunk cheek (they think I bit the inside of my cheek and it swelled up like a chipmunk). I don't remember this, I was too young. Incidentally I don't go to the doctor hardly at all now for things besides infertility treatment. I did have mono when I worked in daycare and went to the doctor for that (I couldn't breathe, it was absolutely necessary), but other than that, I don't get sick. I attribute my healthy immune system to my parents letting my body fight for itself and not drugging me up as a child. I'm not dependent on drugs to keep me well and I'm grateful for that. As a result, I stopped taking all meds (except for infertility treatments) in February. I also cut out all aspartame and phenylalanine's from my diet. I feel healthier. I don't get stomach aches or head aches nearly as often as before. It really is amazing what the human body is capable of if we just let it do what it was designed to do by God.

Stay Healthy Blogger Buddies!

No comments: