Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Recipe Box - Sweet Potato Rolls

I love bread. Always have.

Bread is one of my favorite sides. For this reason, I never have rolls or any kind of bread for a side at home. I simply can not stay out of it.

Back before Thanksgiving, I signed up to bring bread to the church's Thanksgiving potluck. I had a recipe that I had been wanting to try so this was the perfect opportunity to do so.

It was a hit and I went home with an empty bread bowl!

I subsequently made these same rolls for our own Thanksgiving dinner.


Sweet Potato Rolls

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar
2 pkg dry yeast
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 cup sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1/2 cup shortening or butter, melted
1 egg
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups flour

In large bowl, add sugar and yeast to warm water. Stir to dissolve and let stand 10 minutes. Add potatoes, shortening/butter, egg and salt and mix well with mixer. (We received a kitchen aid mixer for a housewarming gift and it was great for this recipe!) Add 1/2 of the flour (2 1/2 cups) and mix well again. Finally, add remaining flour and mix well a third time. Cover dough and let rise until doubled in size. Punch down and shape into rolls. Let rolls rise until doubled in size and bake at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.

Enjoy!


One last comment on these: they are super yummy warm. If you let them cool, they are good. Just good.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

My mouth is officially watering - they look amazing and sound relatively easy to make! Think I'll give these a try soon :)

caryn said...

These look amazing. I will definitely be trying them!