Thursday, October 20, 2011

Playin' in the Pumpkin Patch

For a couple of weeks now I have been telling Chloe Jo about going to pick out a pumpkin and carving them. Every time I told her about it she would get excited and want to go right then. It takes a while to get out there so I also told her that she would have to ride in the car for a little while first. I'm so glad she understands what I say because the ride out there was uneventful. We like to go to McLeod Farms to get our pumpkins. If you are in the South Carolina area, it is worth the trip out there!

Last year there was a hayride out to the pumpkin patch. This year, there were about a million children on field trips so the hayrides were full. We hitched a ride on a golf cart instead! Chloe Jo loves riding on golf carts (one of our friends has one she rides on some) so she was very excited about it.

What I love about McLeod is that it is enormous! They grow all kinds of things out there including strawberries and peaches that you can pick yourself. I really wanted to go out and pick strawberries this year but never got around to it.

It didn't take long for Chloe Jo to pick out a pumpkin. Since the school kids weren't out there yet we got the whole patch to ourselves. It was so nice to be able to let Chloe Jo run through the patch to find her pumpkin.
I think she loved the freedom. She wouldn't have liked it as much if there were a bunch of children out there with us.
We ended up picking out 3 pumpkins. I'm hoping to be able to carve them tonight. I doubt CJ will like the carving part since it's messy.
I asked the golf cart driver to take a family picture. This is the best we did. CJ was not happy that a stranger was taking our picture and reverted to shy mode.
As we were leaving the school kids were coming in on the hayride. I'm so glad we got out of there before all of that craziness started! Although, I am looking forward to one day going along on a field trip with CJ.
Once we got back to the main building, we took the opportunity to explore the grounds. They had several places set up to take pictures.
I think these hay bales are a little weird, but they were fun nevertheless. I'm really not sure what the thing on the right is supposed to be. Maybe a spider?
I love their windmill. Every farm needs a windmill.
Daddy loved this pumpkin. I would have liked to have gotten all of us in it, but there wasn't anyone around I could ask to take our picture at that point. Maybe I'll photoshop my face in.
And last, but not least, we indulged in one of their amazing peach empanadas with a scoop of ice cream. Yum!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Looks like yall had a great time - and that empanada looks AMAZING!!!

Janet said...

Man that peach thing looks incredible! I'm thinking I might have to make a peach pie this weekend now.