Friday, November 13, 2009

ME! ME! ME!

I think we live in a very sad society. I hate the fact that we, as Americans, feel like we have to have things. I hate the fact that we live under the notion of "it's my way or the highway." I hate the fact that we are so greedy that we have run this country into debt. And I am talking about myself here, too. Don't think I don't know that I have fallen into this trap. What got me thinking about this was that I watched The Real Housewives of Orange County last night. I don't normally waste my time watching this trash, but for whatever reason I did last night. I was horrified by the way those women act toward each other and themselves. "I am so rich. Look at me. I have everything I want and I want more. Money. Money. Money. There is nothing in life besides money." I hate that this way of thinking is what is on television now and that if I continue to watch shows like that Chloe Jo is going to learn that way of thinking. I don't want that. I want her to go with me to visit people in the nursing home. I want her to see me take cookies to a shut-in. I want her to see how wonderful giving is. I used to be a part of a group of ladies that sewed pillows and delivered them to the pediatric wards at the hospital. I had to stop going when I started my previous job. I haven't gone since. I'm going to start going again. I want Chloe Jo to grow up understanding that the world does not revolve around her and that that is okay. It doesn't have to. I want her to grow up giving of herself and being a true Christian example to others. But, in order for that to happen, I have to start being a true Christian example to her. It all starts in the home. And if I have an inkling to watch television, maybe I'll opt for watching a wholesome, God-fearing family like the Duggars.

1 comment:

Kriss said...

Amen! Well said Lisa! -kriss